Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Night In With Crayola

This weeks date was a fun one, and something we have never done before.  On Thursday evening we went to the gym as usual and then made dinner at home.  After dishes were put away date night commenced:

Jason pulled out black plastic, set up a makeshift table using some sawhorses and wood, and brought out two hairdryers (where did he find a second?).  Then, he brought out two glass doors and...

Aha! Crayon art!

Jason and I aren't the most artistic people, so this was bound to be interesting!  He had already pulled up some examples of artsy ideas, so we looked at those and did a quick pinterest search.  If you haven't seen crayon art, check it out.  There are some really fun designs out there.  I liked the one of a couple under an umbrella with the wax dripping on them like rain - but, we decided it was a little bit cliché.  Instead, we decided to create two separate pieces that would (hopefully) complement one another.  In addition, Jason already had an idea of using an existing photo that we had on hand.  

We melted wax on the back of the frame,
 but taped the edges to protect the wood
Jason cut out a photo for us to use, so I did my piece using a picture of Jason, and he used a picture of me.  Also, it turns out that we don't print photos very often, because the ones we had on hand were from engagement photos taken more than four years ago!  It was fun discussing how we wanted to coordinate, and how we wanted them to be unique.  We put our pictures in different spaces on the glass, and we each chose a different color scheme.  Jason also decided to drip his wax 'upside down' for a contrasting effect.  It is pretty interesting to see how we both differ artistically.  

There was a lip from the frame to glass, so I started mine on the
ground to avoid some splattering
Jason has an easy time visualizing what he wants, and making that happen.  So once he started melting the wax it was a pretty quick project for him.  He seemed to have an idea how it would look before he began, and I think he was pretty pleased that it turned out within his expectations.  I, on the other hand, have a very difficult time visualizing the outcome. I started mine several minutes before he did, and only barely finished at the same time as him.  
Jason's duct tape crayon contraption

I won't go over the details of how to do this project, but it did involve double sided foam tape and a hairdryer (if you want more specifics check it out on Google or Pinterest).  Once the crayons started melting a few of them fell off, so I ended up just holding up individual colors that I wanted to use (this didn't work great, because the wax already on the glass continued melting, and my fingers got hot!).  Once the crayons began falling for Jason, he used duct tape to make a little pack...far more efficient than my single-crayon-at-a-time effort... After knowing someone for so many years and being as close as Jason and I are, I often see how we think similarly, and forget just how different we really are!  This is one of the things I have always loved about Jason - sometimes he gives me a perspective I never would have noticed on my own.

Like I said, we are no Picasso's, but we had a lot of fun learning about one another's artistic preferences, being creative, and a little bit messy together.  Afterwards, we set our frames up to dry, left our mess for tomorrow, and curled up on the couch to continue reading through proverbs.


Cost:
Crayons - $5.89
Tape - $3.79
Glass doors - we already had these on hand!
Second hair dryer - borrowed from a friend




Finished products - backside
Finished products - front side

there it goes!
Jason melted a lot of wax quickly for a thick layer up top
Lots of wax on the kegerator.  I *think* wax splattered
when one of the crayons fell off my frame...from 5 feet away...



No comments:

Post a Comment