Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Evening at the Planetarium

Did you know that Western has a planetarium on campus?  Well, I did. And part of me thinks Jason stole this date idea from me! Apparently I need to be more secretive about my potential date ideas... Sheesh.  It's okay though, none of the planetarium showings fell on my date week.

Anyways, it was fun.  Jason and I got off of work on a Wednesday evening and headed over to campus.  Jason already had tickets and we found street parking very quickly which left us some time to wander around campus.  It was a beautiful day and the fountain was going...Jason even put on his cheesiest smile for a selfie.

Once the show in the planetarium begins, you get a tour of our stars and planets.  This is my favorite part. In this case, it was one of Western's professors who showed us some of our favorite constellations, told us about some history and Greek mythology.  It is a fun view of the sky because they are able to rotate your view, zoom in, move around, and show you what things look like at different times of the year.  Looking at the stars and admiring the vastness of this universe invokes feelings of wonder, amazement, and humility.


The second half of the show is a film that follows one story line more closely.  In this case it was called Stars of the Pharaohs.  This show discussed ancient Egypt and how the people used the stars in multiple ways, from building pyramids to telling time.  

If you have never been to a planetarium, I highly recommend you take the time to check it.  The one on Western's campus is open to the public and is affordable.  Check out the Spanel Planetarium website here.


Cost:
Planetarium tickets - $10 each

No comments:

Post a Comment