Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Love at 5 AM

Normally, we don't sleep in THAT long.  Normally.  But for some reason, I was feeling particularly tired last week, and daylight savings was coming up, so I was really looking forward to sleeping in on Saturday morning. 

Well, Friday evening Jason suggested we go to bed early because he would be taking me on a date in the wee hours of the morning.  Yippee!  There was a fleeting moment where I was bummed I wouldn't get to sleep in, but then it registered that my hubby was planning a sweet date.  So, what did we do? Duh, we hiked up a small mountain and watched the sunrise! And, it was glorious!

Jason was kind enough to let me know what we were doing on Friday night, so I was able to lay out some warm clothes and sleep in as long as possible.  In the morning, we jumped out of bed, got coffee at Starbucks, and grabbed some fruit from the grocery store.  We ended up hiking up Galbraith Mountain (which is right in town) where we searched for a spot to watch the sun come up over Mount Baker. 

Jason could not have picked a better day.  The moon was full and provided a bit of light as we started hiking in the dark, and the clouds had cleared up early that morning.  It was a bit chilly, but we didn't notice the cold until we sat down.

Once we found a little spot that was adequate, Jason pulled out a blanket and some light snacks, in addition to the coffee and fruit we picked up.  We set up on a cute little log, and waited for the sun to come up.  The quiet of the morning was so wonderful...the only sounds we heard were the songs of the birds.  I am amazed that we can feel so removed from the bustle of the city, while being so close!  As we waited for the sun to make an appearance, Jason read some bible verses relating to nature.  I thought this verse from the book of Psalms captures a morning like this well:
       On the glorious splendor of your majesty,and on your wondrous works, I will meditate.                                                -Psalm 145:5 
We didn't spend the entire time chatting. And that's okay.  I think there is something special about spending a few moments without the need to say anything at all.  Enjoying the beauty of God's creation together was more than sufficient to fill our silence.

Cost:
Coffee - $6.00
Fruit - $3.50
Nuts - on hand






No comments:

Post a Comment